Freshman Nick Richards finishes a lob pass during the Wildcats win vs. Vermont on Sunday, November 12, 2017, at Rupp Arena. Richards recorded 25 points and 15 rebounds in an 86-67 victory vs. Fort Wayne on Wednesday night. Photo by Keyli Chisesi (Go Big Blue Country)
UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
FORT WAYNE AT KENTUCKY
RUPP ARENA | LEXINGTON, KY.
NOV. 22, 2017
Final Score: #8/8 Kentucky 86, Fort Wayne 67
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky wins its third game in a row in improving to 5-1. Fort Wayne is 3-2.
- This was the first meeting between UK and Fort Wayne in men’s basketball.
- Next for the Wildcats: UK continues the five-game homestand on Sun. Nov. 26 as the Wildcats play host to UIC. Game time is 6 p.m. and it will be televised on the SEC Network.
In the First Half
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Quade Green, Hamidou Diallo, PJ Washington, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the fifth straight game.
- Both teams came out hot, with Fort Wayne making six of their first 12 3-point tries, and an 8-0 run gave the visitors a 27-23 lead.
- Trailing 37-36, UK held Fort Wayne scoreless over the final 3:50 of the half. The Wildcats finished with a 9-0 spurt and took a 45-37 lead into intermission.
- There were eight lead changes in the first half.
- UK shot 70.4 percent in the first half, the Wildcats’ best half since shooting 75.9 percent vs. Stony Brook on March 17, 2016.
- Fort Wayne had eight 3-pointers in the first half, most that UK has allowed in a half this season.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky held Fort Wayne scoreless for the first 2:21 of the second half, extending the scoreless streak to 6:11. In the meantime the Wildcats got the first two baskets and two free throws of the second half, extending the run to 15-0 and the lead 51-37.
- UK added runs of 8-0 and 9-0 in the second half.
- UK extended the lead to 30 points at 79-49, the Wildcats’ largest advantage of the season.
- Kentucky’s 86 points is a season high for the Wildcats.
- UK led by as many as 30 points in the game and is 219-4 in the John Calipari era in games that the Wildcats have led by at least 10 points.
- UK shot exactly 60 percent from the field. This is the 10th time in the Calipari era that UK has shot at least 60 percent.
- UK won the rebounding, 44-21, the fifth consecutive game that the Wildcats won or tied the boardwork. The +23 margin ties for the 11th best game of the Calipari era. UK has had a +23 rebounding margin in two games in a row.
- UK’s board dominance led to a 16-4 lead in second-chance points and a 44-22 edge in points in the paint. It’s also a season high for points in the paint.
- Two Wildcats pulled down double-digit rebounds, first time that has happened this season.
- UK had a season high 24 bench points, winning that stat 24-10.
- Nick Richards totaled 25 points and 15 rebounds, his first double-double as a Wildcat.
- It’s UK’s first 20-10 game since Bam Adebayo totaled 22 points and 15 rebounds vs. Missouri on Feb. 21, 2017.
- It’s UK’s first 25-15 game since Terrence Jones went for 27 and 17 against Notre Dame on Dec. 8, 2010.
- Kevin Knox tallied 11 points and has scored double figures in all six games this season.
- Quade Green had 11 points and led the Wildcats in assists with five.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had an all-around floor game with 11 points, three rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Wenyen Gabriel almost got a double-double with nine points and 10 rebounds.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari is now 254-54 at Kentucky.
- Calipari is 139-6 at Rupp Arena.
- Calipari has a 699-194 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is 1-0 vs. Fort Wayne in his career.